Friday, June 5, 2020

$72,000 Basquiat/SAMO Graffiti

Short on the heels of another Jean-Michel Basquiat painting titled Boy and Dog in a Johnnypump selling for more than 100 million dollars this month, someone purchased one of his collaborative SAMO graffiti pieces for 72,000. 
Basquiat sold this month for 110 million dollars

I was a little confused when I saw one of his paintings sell to a Japanese collector for $110 million a few years back. After research, I found the draw of his story and his work intriguing and gained a new appreciation for his paintings. After viewing one of his works in person at the Joslyn Art Museum in Omaha, my admiration of his work grew tenfold.

$110,000,000.00 Basquiat
I understand the draw, but once again find myself a little unsettled at the price of the graffiti sale when I look at it. I know, due to the nature of graffiti in general, most works could never be owned or purchased. However...

$72,000.00 SAMO graffitti
 What do you think? I'd love to hear your opinion.
Jim

2 comments:

  1. What the market will bear to price, methinks. But my response is to a more fundamental question: Should graffiti be "owned?" Isn't the idea of such to share art in community? If only the privileged get to own "art" what about those in community who might be moved and/or inspired to create? To take that away from those who don't have the luxury of hanging this for for a few to see, seems selfish and self-absorbed. At least to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Graffiti was never meant to bought or sold. It's more like a statement from the artist to the immediate eye of the viewer. But the devil in the detail is the art world needs the privileged. There are too many starving artists already. A little money can be inspiration to create. Of course everybody wants a Banksy.

      Delete